l: JG 4
Sector Team Lead, REACT
Investments & Portfolio Monitoring
The AECF (Africa Enterprise Challenge Fund) is a non-profit institution supporting early and growth-stage businesses – through the provision of patient capital – to innovate, create jobs, leverage investments and markets to create resilience and sustainable incomes for rural poor and marginalised communities in Africa.
AECF’s strategy is focused on agribusiness/agriculture and renewable energy sectors with increased support to climate technologies, deepened focus on gender, youth, and employment, aimed at attaining the institution’s vision of ‘A Prosperous and Enterprising Rural Africa’.
Since 2008, AECF has invested in 268 businesses across sub-Sahara Africa focusing on Agribusiness, Renewable Energy and Climate Technologies. As of 2018, we have impacted more than 17 million lives, created over 12,000 jobs and leveraged over US$ 750 million in matching funds from the private sector.
AECF has implemented programs across Africa delivering tangible impact for communities most in need. We are looking for an experienced Policy and Advocacy Manager who will oversee the implementation of advocacy strategies of AECF.
AECF is headquartered in Kenya with offices in Cote d’ Ivoire and Tanzania.
The overall objective of Policy and Advocacy Manager will be to provide technical and administrative support for successful implementation and delivery of AECF policy and advocacy strategy for the Renewable Energy & Climate Technologies (REACT) in the Sub-Sahara Africa (SSA) region. The Policy and Advocacy Manager will implement key policy interventions at national, regional and global levels in collaboration with multiple industry stakeholders including (a) renewable energy associations; (b) centres of excellence in energy access themes; (c) public sector institutions and platforms and; (d) consumer associations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:**
Reporting to Sector Team Lead, REACT, the Policy and Advocacy Manager will:
1) Advisory Services on Policy and Advocacy
· Lead the development of SSA advocacy objectives and operational plans to deliver on the REACT strategy, including specific donor commitments;
· Review REACT strategies and priorities to make the most of evolving opportunities and potential tactics;
· Develop a toolkit - creating guidelines, approaches and an evidence-base to inform planning, and policy and regulatory engagement by industry stakeholders.
· Collate and disseminate information to management and stakeholders relating to the changes in the policy and advocacy landscape through regular Intel gathering;
· Work closely with governments, partners and other stakeholders formal Institutions to establish policy framework and influence social transformation for Renewable Energy & Climate Technologies (REACT);
· Conduct research that will create a high-quality analysis, policy briefings, recommendations and positions relating to AECF advocacy and policy priorities;
· Ensure that advocacy activities are properly budgeted, documented and information is entered and stored effectively to facilitate effective monitoring and evaluation of various programmes;
· Collate, track and document the key policy areas throughout the implementation of the program.
2) Stakeholders Relations and external policy influencing
· Ensure high-quality delivery of events, activities and communications necessary to deliver against AECF Policy and Practice strategy such as workshops, position papers, briefings, consultations, roundtables, online media;
· Build strategic partnerships pipeline with institutions and/or organizations that will assist AECF in meeting desired policy agenda outcomes;
· Develop strategic alliances with key stakeholders such as renewable energy associations; centres of excellence in energy access themes; public sector institutions and platforms and; consumer associations and community groups;
· Generate detailed annual, monthly & weekly plans for advocacy/engagement activities;
· Package information relating to policy priorities for each country and region of focus and disseminate this information to stakeholders
· Manage relationships with relevant external lobby and campaigning groups;
· Prepare documents on specific REACT issues for a range of stakeholders, lobbying targets and audiences and crafting articles for blog posts, briefing documents and talking points;
· Lead the conceptualisation and organisation of regular national and regional networking and learning events to strengthen the collaboration among enabling environment institutions and industry associations
· Build the capacity of industry associations to engage in planning, policy and regulations, including supporting the private sector and other stakeholders to form and operationalize**
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
· Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in relevant field studies is required (Political Science, Communication, economics, international relations or social science);
· Have a minimum of seven (7) years’ of relevant work experience on policy, advocacy, or campaigning, ideally in advocacy or campaigning organisation, particularly the experience of working as part of coalitions or networks in the energy sector is an added advantage;
· Proven ability in managing and fostering relations with stakeholders; working with international donors and grants;
· Ability to manage a complex and varied workload and to work under pressure;
· Experience of working in the Sub-Sahara Africa region;
· Experience in Research and analysis, writing briefings or reports on development or related issues;
· Positive experiences working with local and international partners and relationship building;
· Must demonstrate an ability to be a proactive, results-focused leader;
· Ability to work effectively within multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams;
· Excellent written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively and with polish to individuals and groups of people;
· Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English and French;
· Proficiency in using applications software, including presentation, spreadsheet, word processing, and project management tools.
How to apply
The AECF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The AECF considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, colour, national origin, religion, age, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
If you believe, you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the relevant criteria for the role, please submit your application quoting in the subject line the Job Title “Policy and Advocacy Manager’’– AECF/P&AM/2020” and attach a detailed CV with the correct e-mail address and telephone contacts to
to be received on or before
August 5th, 2020.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. For more information on AECF, please visit www.aecfafrica.org
The overall objective of Policy and Advocacy Manager will be to provide technical and administrative support for successful implementation and delivery of AECF policy and advocacy strategy for the Renewable Energy & Climate Technologies (REACT) in the Sub-Sahara Africa (SSA) region.
Attain Enterprise Solutions Limited is a Gold Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)company seeking to recruit Bid Executive . Applications should be made through...
From Attain Enterprise Solutions Limited - Nairobi Area
Published a month ago
Reporting to the Strategic Information (SI) Lead, the Data Manager, will be responsible for collection and aggregation of datasets, data cleaning and data entry...
From Center For Health Solutions - Nairobi Area
Published a month ago
Job Summary Our client is a global health service company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. They are looking...
From Brightermonday Consulting - Nairobi Area
Published 25 days ago
Location: Spur Mall Thika Road Requirements The following are the requirements for this role; • A University degree from an institution a relevant field in...
From Afrinet Telecom Limited - Nairobi Area
Published a month ago