The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UN Environment's Ecosystems Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition.
This post is located in UNEP/ Ecosystems Division, at the Nairobi duty station.Under the general supervision of the Deputy Director, the incumbent will be responsible for the following functions:
1) Division Financial Management:• Organizing and ensuring that funds entrusted to the Division are managed with due diligence, within UN Rules and Regulations and fiduciary standards, ensure optimization and alignment of the resources with the expected output of the Division, applying result-based budgeting (RBB);
• Keeping the management team informed on the fund management situation and forecast;
• Bringing to the attention of the Division Director and Deputy all emerging issues implying an increased financial exposure to risk by the Division and proposing mitigating strategies;
• Preparing and delivering financial presentations and reports for UNEP management as well as to the United Nations Environment Assembly and other Governing Bodies, and donors as required;
• Organizing the contribution from Ecosystems Division to Office of Internal Oversight Services/United Nations Board of Auditors, audit missions, and ensure implementation of accepted audit queries.
2) Division project portfolio:
• Providing direction and support to the Fund Management Team to keep the project portfolio under strict control;
• Supervising the Fund Management staff team to support the Ecosystems Division branches and units in the project budgeting process, fund raising, legal contracting, fund programming and reporting;
• Organizing and ensuring that all externally implemented projects are audited every year and at the end of the project.
3) Division Human Resources:
• Supervising HR staff team and ensure compliance to the prevailing UN rules and procedures;
• Ensuring the establishment and maintenance of a set of sound HR policies, procedures, standards and tools in the Ecosystems Division which are consistent with UN policy, procedures and practice.
4) Division Administrative operations:
• Supervising the Administrative staff team and overseeing general administration issues of the Division;
• Producing reports and recommendations for management on the implementation of administrative rules, procedures, and circulars;
• Monitoring the adequacy of office space, office arrangements and technology for the Division and proposing an improvement plan when necessary.
5) Division Offices Away from Headquarters
• Serving as general liaison between Nairobi and Divisional Offices away from Headquarters on financial, administrative and human resources information, and compile inputs to corporate requests;
• Supporting Regional Seas Secretariats in financial matters.
• Upon request, representing UNEP in the Convention of Parties (COPs) of the Regional Seas.
6) Management of the Administrative Services Unit:
• Developing the work plan of the unit, building the case for the allocation of the unit resources;
• Managing a team of Professional and General Service staff and providing leadership by jointly setting objectives and standards, managing performance, identifying training needs, and facilitating team work and high productivity environment;
• Mentoring staff under supervision in accomplishing the objectives and outputs of the Unit and realizing individual personal goals, fostering harmonious interpersonal relations in the Unit, Division and across organizational boundaries;
• Overseeing and managing performance as additional reporting officer of the Administrative Finance Management Officers in Divisional Offices away from Headquarters
• Ensuring compliance, effective and efficient use of the corporate information system;
• Performing any other relevant duties as requested.
: Post-graduate education
Required relevant work experience
: 10 years
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Want to see how you rank against other applicants?
Get detailed analysis on Fuzu Instant Feedback
Sign up to learn more
Winrock is seekingOperations Directorcandidates for an anticipated USAID-funded Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH)project in Kenya. The project will apply a...
From Winrock Kenya - Nairobi Area
Published a month ago
Opportunities for Rural Youth Employment in Kenya (ORYE Kenya) Programme – (Subject to Project Award)which is an anticipated GIZ-funded programme seeks to...
From Snv Netherlands Development Organization - Nairobi Area
Published 25 days ago
Job Description Reporting to the Country Director, the Team leader will have overall responsibility and accountability of the programme which includes overall...
From Ion - Nairobi Area
Published 25 days ago
Ref Number:KUTRRH/DCSADDHR/289 Job Description Reporting to the Director, Corporate Services & Administration, the Deputy Director – Human Resources’ job exists...
From Ta University Teaching, Referral & Research Hospital - Nairobi Area
Published 25 days ago