The Special Needs Education Coordinator's primary responsibility is to support the implementation of JRS special needs education activities for the JRS special needs/scholarship program in Kakuma Camp — Kenya in order to guarantee the quality of inclusive education services provided to forcibly displaced people.This is a position based in Kakuma Refugee Camp. In close collaboration with the Project Director, the Special Needs Education Coordinator will be actively involved in planning, monitoring, implementation and evaluation of the JRS Special Needs Education Programme as well as acting as a child safe-guarding officer while ensuring the well-being of the children with special needs while at the centres and in the community.
1. Programme Management· Overseeing / managing a caseload of special education students and the implementation of JRS’s special needs Programmes in Kakuma refugee camp.
· Lead and motivate a team of staff under the special needs department
· Design the special needs Programmes, monitor and evaluate the efficiency and report to donors, parents and other stakeholders
· Develop training manuals for the department as needed or in consultation with an external consultant specialist. Continually contribute to the reviewing and redesigning of the program-training manual and ensure that program trainers are conversant with the manual.
· Develop/review terms of reference for all special needs trainings
· Help incentive staff to conduct assessment and develop case management plans, identify gaps and suggest interventions and will be actively involved in advocacy on behalf of beneficiaries and individuals living within the camp.
· Monitor community workers in the field, as well as help assess at-home needs of beneficiaries that are unable to come to the centres for care.
· Prepare relevant materials for training community leaders, parents, and other refugees according to need and carry out training and in-service training for the education centre support staff, parents, community leaders and clients’ caregivers.
· Actively participate in guiding lead trainers in teaching others special needs education and mainstreaming psychosocial support into the special education/ scholarship program.
· Participate in identifying children/young adults with mental health disorders/other disabilities, as well as physical/developmental/cognitive disabilities through community outreach and referrals.
· Creatively design outreach programs and sensitization campaigns to raise awareness on special needs education. Contribute in the development of mobilization and awareness strategy to educate the community on program related information.
· Ensure that the program assistants develop counselling skills, along with developing their skills in working with special needs populations (including sign language, developmental abilities, based on diagnosis, general capacity building based around clients, etc.)
· Ensure adequate, ongoing support and rehabilitation of clients through inclusion in the education programs at the centre/community care and transition to the regular schools.
· Carry out regular assessments of the education centre clients (with guidance from Project Director,) and identify changing needs of each client.
· Work closely with families by designing and overseeing the implementation of capacity building programs to help them easily integrate the beneficiary in their day to day life-
· Lead evaluation teams to develop individualized programs/IEPs for the client and monitor/evaluate their implementation.
· Contribute to the development of the JRS strategy and design and oversee the implementation of innovative and individualized activities for program clients both in the centre and community
· Participate in any other programme activity as agreed with the Project Director, or Staff Management & Planning
· The Special Needs Education Coordinator supervises the work of the Educational Assistants, Community Workers and Incentive Staffs
Budget Planning and Management
· Responsible for the overall budget management of the JRS Special Needs Education department funds, e.g. the budget preparation, ensures that proper financial management of the department, proper financial reporting and recording in conjunction with the Project Director.
· Ensures proper utilization of resources, including prompt accountability of funds and reporting.
· Understands budgets and keeps abreast with all financial aspects in program management.
Staff Planning and Management
· Plan for the staff requirement for the program in consultation with the Project Director and in collaboration with members of your team (Educational Assistants, Community Workers, Incentive Staff Supervisors)
· Actively involved in the recruitment, supervision, reviewing job description and contracts, prepare work plans, leave control, discipline and performance appraisal of the staff in the program
· Carries out people management and staff motivation with a view to upholding the JRS vision and mission
· Keep the Project Director informed on the activities of the project by providing relevant correspondence, reports and meeting minutes as well as making regular updates. Responsible for prompt submission of the department financial and narrative reports to the Project Accountant/Project Director.
· Prepare and submit monthly, quarterly, mid-year, and annual reports to the Project Director. Write weekly/monthly reports that address each of the centers’ activities, and will contribute to other administrative duties as needed by the Project Director and project directors.
· Responsible for co-ordination and liaison between IRS and other agencies/local government/local communities/displaced community as regards to JRS’ Education programme in conjunction with the Project Director
· Represent JRS at the stakeholders meeting as necessary e.g. Education Cluster Meeting.
: Bachelor's degree
Required relevant work experience
: 5 years
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Want to see how you rank against other applicants?
Get detailed analysis on Fuzu Instant Feedback
Sign up to learn more
Sign up and Apply
Share this job